Wednesday, March 6, 2013

S.F.P.

In college, I was notorious among my friends for having what we affectionately referred to as a "severe facial problem."  Meaning, if there was a situation that required a poker face, it was guaranteed that I would have just the opposite.  For example:  The boy my roommate has a secret crush on happens to sit with us at lunch and unwittingly makes a double entendre - which is only a double entendre if you know that roomie has a crush on said boy.  I was unable to take this in stride.  My face would contort as I struggled to keep it from showing surprise, then amusement, then turning red as I tried to not laugh.  This resulted in me drinking copious amounts of tea in college, as that was  my escape.  Awkard moment = me getting up and saying, "I'm gonna get some tea."  And then try to hide my face behind my teacup, should further hijinks ensue.

The "severe facial problem" became such an inside joke among my friends that when I made my own webpage (as was fashionable in the late 90s, before MySpace and Facebook and all that), I had one dedicated to "Severe Facial Problems," featuring photos of friends with unusual (and usually funny) facial expressions.

More and more, when I look at myself and Abby in the mirror, I have to admit that, at least for now, she looks more like her daddy.  I tell her, "That's ok, you're daddy's pretty good-looking."  However,  some photos make me wonder if she might share her mother's propensity for "severe facial problems:"

"Mom, I'm only 2 months old.  I'm not ticklish, yet."

"Well...."

"World domination?  No, of course, that's not what I was thinking about."

Also, that sleeper no longer fits her. : (

"Mom, like I even know it's Dad's birthday."

I love that we're starting to see her personality come through more and more.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?