Monday, May 2, 2011

Moving is Hard

Not to sound like Moving Barbie, but moving is hard!

It's not like I didn't know that.  It's not that I haven't moved at least 10 times in my life, if you include to and from college every year.  Until now, those were all small potatoes.  Those college moves were little baby steps, apartment moves a childlike scamper, but this big house move is surely a marathon.

Think about it - when you move into a residence hall, you really only need to worry about your personal items, clothing, decorations, etc.  In your first apartment (or three), you may or may not worry about furniture, combining "vintage" hand-me-down pieces with thrift-store and Walmart finds, figuring it's only temporary.  Even if you're in an apartment long enough to upgrade to "grown-up" furniture, it's still a much smaller space.  Plus, it's easier to be less picky with an apartment, since it is most likely temporary (even though some folks stay in their "temporary" apartments longer than others have been in their purchased houses!).

Even moving into Kevin's townhouse wasn't this hard.  Truthfully, I don't remember a whole lot of what he dealt with when he moved in, since I was only around on weekends at that time.  By the time I moved in, things were pretty much settled, and I just squeezed my stuff in where I could.

Like I said, this big house thing is truly a marathon.  Don't get me wrong - the house is in good condition.  Nothing is wrong - really wrong, anyway - with it.  There are things that  are less than ideal, quirky, and not to our taste.  And we want it all to be the way we want it RIGHT NOW.  As I discussed with a friend, I want it to be like The Sims where I can change out paint colors and rearrange furniture with the touch of a button, and undo if if I don't like it.  Instead, we sit with our kitchen in disarray for two weeks while we decide if the green is too green, and wondering if it's actually growing on us, or are we just tired of paint trays on the counter?  Meanwhile, deer are grazing on our grass because it took Kevin a week to get our hand-me-down tractor (for which we are super-grateful) in order.

So, I guess all this is to say that I'm sorry I haven't updated more lately.  I've been busy and exhausted, but I'm trying to be better.  In the meantime, say hello to the first stinkbug of the season:

 This was taken April 3rd.  We've given many more a burial at sea (toilet) since then.  They are prolific.

And you might also enjoy this:
1.  Kevin misspelled utensils.
2.  Kevin cared enough to make a note questioning his spelling of utensils on a packing box.
3.  I love that someone (I don't know who) went in and added foreign language accents.  I'm trying to figure out how to pronounce it, but don't really know what a tilde does to an "e."

Anyway, back to work!  I'm sure I have a box to unpack or a kitchen wall to stare at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?