Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Looking Back on St. Patrick's Day

I was on a roll with posting, for a moment, last year! Then, the days faded into sameness, as I waffled between apathy and outrage (maybe more on that another time). I just had no inspiration or motivation to blog. But I've been thinking lots of thoughts, lately, so I thought I'd give it another go.

Today is St. Patrick's Day! Up until I met Kevin, I never gave it much thought. I would wear green and whatnot, but no Irish meals, music, or adult beverages. But Kevin is half Irish, and soon after we started dating, he started hosting St. Patrick's Day parties. After a few years, it was no longer "Kevin's" St. Patrick's Day Party, but "our" St. Patrick's Day Party.

The party has evolved a lot over the past 15-ish years. In the early days, our friends would kick a keg of Guinness, or Murphy's or Beamish, if we could get one of those.  Everyone would chug what Google tells me I can call an "Irish Slammer"...although you might know it by a more insensitive name. You know the one...where you drop a shot of Irish Cream and Irish Whiskey into an Irish Stout, knock it back, then probably make some more questionable choices. Our friend, Darren, would lead us in a rousing rendition of "The Barley Mow," during which you take a drink during each verse, finishing a pint of beverage, usually Guinness (or similar), by the end of the five-minute song. Don't think you'd finish it? You would, because at the last verse, Darren would yell, "FINISH IT!" and what else could you do but comply? I tried this with a root beer one year, and holy cow, it was so uncomfortably fizzy. Stick with the stout.


Anyway. Times change. None of us drink that much anymore or can hang that late. We stopped getting a keg because Kevin and I were drinking the leftovers into July, when no one really wants to drink an Irish stout. The thought of the day after an "Irish Slammer" is enough to make me think I may have had my last one. Many of us have kids now, so I put out St. Patrick's Day crafts and books, and we make sure to have kid-friendly alternatives to corned beef and cabbage, and booze-free desserts.

It's still fun. We still listen to Irish music and talk and laugh. The kids play. We reminisce about being young and fun, and having the time and energy to hang out all the time. It's nice to have this time to catch up. And we have new friends (although not that new, anymore!), now, too, and it makes my heart happy to see people from different parts of our lives chatting, having fun together, and maybe even becoming friends, too.

Here we are, this year, though. Our St. Patrick's Day Party was the first "thing" canceled last year. At the time, we thought for sure we'd make up for it by the end of summer. But then we missed birthday parties, our annual Octoberfest and Winter Wonderland Celebrations, too. Here's hoping our year of missed celebrations is bookended with this St. Patrick's Day. 

Not that we aren't still celebrating! My favorite corned beef recipe is in the oven, I tried my hand at Irish Brown Bread today, and made an "Irish Slammer" cake. We'll eat some Irish cheese and crackers for an afternoon snack, and enjoy a Murphy's and some Irish music this evening. I do have to admit, though, we will probably skip the "Barley Mow." 

Miss A giving Mister P a hug, both dressed in green with shamrocks
One of my favorite St. Patrick's Day pics, from 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?